Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Incredible Facts About the Human Body
Very interesting facts about the human body you probably didn’t know.
1. The stomach’s digestive acids are strong enough to dissolve zinc. Fortunately for us, the cells in the stomach lining renew so quickly that the acids don’t have time to dissolve it.
2. The lungs contain over 300,000 million capillaries (tiny blood vessels). If they were laid end to end, they would stretch 2400km (1500 miles).
3. A mans testicles manufacture 10 million new sperm cells each day – enough that he could repopulate the entire planet in only 6 months!
4. Human bone is as strong as granite in supporting weight. A block of bone the size of a matchbox can support 9 tonnes – that is four times as much as concrete can support.
5. Each finger and toenail takes six months to grow from base to tip.
6. The largest organ in the body is the skin. In an adult man it covers about 1.9m2 (20sq ft). The skin constantly flakes away – in a lifetime each person sheds around 48kg (105 lb) of skin.
7. When you sleep, you grow by about 8mm (0.3in). Through out the next day you shrink back to your former height. The reason is that your cartilage discs are squeezed like sponges by the force of gravity when you stand or sit.
8. The average person in the West eats 50 tons of food and drinks 50,000 liters (11,000 gallons) of liquid during his life.
9. Each kidney contains 1 million individual filters. They filter an average of around 1.3 liters (2.2 pints) of blood per minute, and expel up to 1.4 liters (2.5 pints) a day of urine.
10. The focusing muscles of the eyes move around 100,000 times a day. To give your leg muscles the same workout, you would need to walk 80km (50 miles) every day.
11. In 30 minutes, the average body gives off enough heat (combined) to bring a half gallon of water to boil.
12. A single human blood cell takes only 60 seconds to make a complete circuit of the body.
13. The eyes receive approximately 90 percent of all our information, making us basically visual creatures.
14. The female ovaries contain nearly half-a-million egg cells, yet only 400 or so will ever get the opportunity to create a new life.
15. The purpose of eyebrows is to keep sweat from running into the eyes.
16. The number one cause of blindness in America is diabetes.
17. You blink over 6,000,000 times per year.
18. The average man spends around 5 months of his life shaving.
19. Hair is the second fastest growing tissue on the body. Bone marrow is the first.
20. Hair is made out of the same substance as fingernails.
21. Around 20% of the oxygen you breathe goes to your brain.
22. You cannot properly tickle yourself as your brain knows that you are touching yourself and will not react in the same way as if something foreign were touching you.
23. In one day, you shed about 10 billion skin flakes.
24. A human salivates an average of 1-3 pints of saliva every day.
25. An adult human body requires around 90 pounds of oxygen per day.
26. The heart produces enough pressure that it can squirt blood at a distance of over 35 feet.
27. The human heart beats an average of 35,000,000 times per year – thus, the average human heart beats around 100,000 times per day.
Upper Cervical Care is about allowing all of these amazing things to happen without interference due to head neck misalignment.