By Rose Panico / Bill Remling
DID YOU KNOW THAT...
* One cubic inch of the brain's cortex contains 10,000 miles of connecting tissue.
* Your brain gets signals from 137 million light receptors in your eyes, 100,000 hearing receptors in your ears, 3,000 taste buds in your mouth, 30,000 hot spots, 250,000 cold spots, and 500,000 touch spots on your skin.
* Electrical impulses flash along your nerves at 393 feet per second, or about 270 miles per hour.
* In nine months, 6,000 billion cells form an average baby.
* Your heart pumps about 2 1/2 gallons of blood per minute. If you could loan your heart to pump donor blood into pint bottles, it would fill so may bottles in one year that they could stretch from New York City to Cleveland, Ohio.
* If your blood cells were put in a single row, it would extend around the world four times at the equator. Every second between 2-3 million red blood cells are launched into the blood stream.
* There are more than 600 muscles in your body. Many muscles work in a team.
* Your lungs contain a half billion tiny air sacs with a surface area of 40 to 60 square miles.
* In 70 years, your stomach will produce about 60,000 quarts of digestive juice, it will digest about 40 tons or 80,000 pounds of food.
* Each kidney contains one million functional units that filter your blood.
* Your brain regulates, stimulates, creates and controls all these body functions and millions of others. When the body is functioning normal, we tend to forget about the very complex activities that are constantly going on. Nonetheless, the cells keep functioning and reproducing themselves.